Smart Care California: Workgroup Meeting Materials
Workgroup Meeting #5: January 2017
The main topic for the fifth workgroup meeting was low back pain. Participants heard presentations on two treatment innovations for several populations ranging from initial screening of low back pain to those with chronic, complex, high cost care needs and began preliminary discussions on priorities for low back pain interventions and measures. The group also discussed activities underway for addressing the overuse of opioids and a menu of value-based payment options for C-section.
- January 2017 Meeting Materials
- January 2017 Meeting Summary
- Slide Deck: Stanford CERC, Spine Pain and Opioids: A Tale of Two Epidemics
- Slide Deck: Desert Clinic Pain Institute & Inland Empire Health Plan, Pain Center of Excellence
Workgroup Meeting #4: August 2016
Discussion for the fourth workgroup meeting primarily focused on priorities for action on opioids, anchored by recent work by the California Health Care Foundation recommending four key strategies. The focus for the meeting was on 1) resources for reducing opioid overuse for providers, consumers/patients, and payers/plans; and 2) a soon-to-be-launched dashboard on opioid indicators from CDPH. Workgroup members also discussed the development of an “honor roll” award that recognizes hospitals with C-section rates for low-risk, first-time birth under the “Healthy People 2020” threshold of 23.9%.
Workgroup Meeting #3: February 2016
The workgroup discussed a proposed action plan for each of the three focus areas, as well as heard about results of related projects underway: Doing What Works, a project led by the Center for Health Care Decisions, and Consumer Reports’ efforts to inform and educate patients about overuse.
- February 2016 Meeting Materials
- February 2016 Meeting Summary
- Slide Deck: Doing What Works
- Slide Deck: Helping Patients Choose Wisely
Workgroup Meeting #2: October 2015
Presentations and discussion for the second workgroup meeting focused on three target areas: Cesarean section for low-risk first time births, imaging for low back pain without red flags, and opioid dependence. The focus for the meeting was 1) intervention pathways with potential to affect overuse; and 2) activities most promising for the Workgroup and its members to pursue.
- October 2015 Meeting Materials
- October 2015 Meeting Summary
- Slide Deck: Reducing Opioid Overuse
- Slide Deck: Reducing C-Sections
- Slide Deck: Reducing Inappropriate Imaging for Low Back Pain
- Slide Deck: Reduction in Low Back Pain Imaging
- Slide Deck: Reducing Overuse in California
Workgroup Meeting #1: June 2015
Discussion for the first workgroup meeting focused on opportunities to improve quality and reduce costs by targeting overuse. Workgroup members include purchasers, providers, health plans, consumer representatives, and other stakeholders. Representatives from Cedars-Sinai Health Systems, Sutter Health, and Blue Shield of California presented on their organizations’ approaches to reducing overuse.